This is the time of year when it sets in. You know what I’m talking about. The evenings are long, you want to watch Netflix all day and it’s hard to get out the door sometimes. Even though I know the Winter Blues do not affect everyone, I want to share a few of my favourite ways to beat the blues this winter.
- I’m taking care of my skin. I spend time on my skincare routine morning and night. I use a luxurious oil to remove my makeup, follow up with a mask, then use a couple of vitamin rich serums before I apply my moisturizer. By spending anywhere from 10-15 minutes on my skin, I’m saving myself from a season of breakouts, flaky skin and oddly positioned dry patches.
- I’m getting and staying active. I treated myself to a FitBit Alta after Christmas and have been enjoying the challenge of meeting my hourly, daily and weekly goals. I’ve also been enjoying at home workouts. I’ve been walking with Leslie Sansone (check out her YouTube for FREE videos) and also really enjoy PopSugar. Fitness! I aim for 5 days a week, but try not to get too caught up in the particulars.
- I’ve been immersing myself in books and enjoying podcasts daily. Audible is my favourite way to keep up with novels and allows me to multitask. Podcasts are a great way to learn and find fiction and non-fiction stories. I like to listen to both Audible and various podcasts during my morning routine and when I’m getting ready for bed. It’s also nice to listen to them while cooking supper or just relaxing after a long day.
- Stuff You Should Know
- Hilarious, entertaining and very informative
- Someone Knows Something
- A Canadian version of Serial. Real stories told in weekly segments.
- Under The Influence
- A look inside the world of advertising and a behind-the-scenes view of the biggest advertisements used throughout the world.
- Radio Lab
- I tend to pick and choose the episodes I listen to. I generally listen to the science-y based episodes and anything else that is catching my eye.
- Stuff You Should Know
- I found a hobby. There is nothing worse than working all day, coming home to cook supper, and then sitting on the couch until it’s time to go to bed; so I found myself a hobby- sewing! It’s challenging, but a nice change from the couch on those long night! Also, it’s a cool way to let out my creative side!
I hope that you might find some relief from winter blues and cabin fever this year! What methods do you use to stay out of a funk in the winter?!